
Today I cut an audition "tape" (actually its all digital) for a proposed new show on our local public radio station: KRVS-FM 88.7 (www.krvs.org - you will be able to listen to it live on the internet no matter where you are!).
The show's working title is "The Yellow Submarine" - though i may end up calling it simply "The Beatle Hour" or even better: having listeners name it through a contest.
The show is still in the process of being approved, but should it pass all hurdles, it would be 60 minutes long, once a week (with perhaps a few replay times sprinkled throughout the week at varying times), and lots of fun ( i learned that today) .
The audition required me to produce a 20-minute show, and I only played the songs chosen for this audition for a minute or less in order to showcase more information and my "style" (low key and informational rather than typical "DJ" style).
I chose the cd "1" to be my theme: the 27 number one hits the Beatles recorded between 1962 and 1970. I printed out extra information about each song that I researched online and intended to use that and some of my natural store of info to fill in between songs.
Doing this audition reminded me of how much I love their music, and old memories kept popping into my head as I spoke between music snippets - most of what I ended up saying was unplanned - though I had plenty of researched stuff at my fingertips - and used some of it.
But in the end, it wasn't the information ended up conveying anyway - it was the feelings that the Beatles' music evoked from me as I listened to those early hits. The emotion rushed back in a wave of nostalgia and a recognition that their music still hits home.
With the podcasting revolution now filling up the internet with recordings of all kinds - I could produce and place "The Yellow Submarine" online for everyone to enjoy anyway - but it sure would be sweet to get it on public radio!
Wish me luck.

No comments:
Post a Comment