Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Say Cheese


Michaela York, with John Folse (far right) and guest on their WRKF Radio Show



Phew ! (or is it Whew ! ? - I never know.) Can you feel the rush of air from my lungs as I sigh in relief ?

Seventeen straight days of blogging to start this exercise was fun - but, ultimately, I knew I would settle into a natural rhythm where some days I blog and others I don't - just like 99 and 44/100ths percent of all bloggers.

Tuesday October 11 was just "one of those days" where so much was happening that I simply did not get to sit down and create an entry. But today's' another matter. Let's start with yesterday.

After making my early-morning rounds in the fall garden (pumpkins, broccoli, cantaloupe, dill, parsley, basil, green onions, chives, spinach, sunflowers, fairy trumpets, morning glories, roses, wandering jew, flax, and several perennials plus the wonderful volunteers of various kinds that keep coming up), off I went to Baton Rouge to have lunch with my brother John.

He's senior paralegal for a New Orleans Law firm that's had to relocate to Baton Rouge for awhile, but the strain of his personal refugee status has only put a small dent in his effervescent personality.

Lunch was nice: just a sandwich, but he's good company and is the sibling who travels the most, so I got to enjoy - albeit vicariously - his travel adventures through his re-telling of them.


Then it was off to spend a fascinating 90 minutes with Michaela York, Director of Communications with The John Folse Company, in nearby Gonzales.



Michaela is one of those prized people who gives you a hug once she gets to know you, and I was the beneficiary of her good-natured affection to start our visit.

As a regular listener every Saturday morning from 11-noon (central time) to John Folse's radio show "Stirrin it up" (listen to it here)

(and also here) - I wanted to see the facilities about which he was always talking - and I was lucky to have Michaela as my guide / host. Although she is often wrestling an octopus in terms of a to-do list, she is unfailingly upbeat and fun !

If you need or want any info on the company's products or services, she's the one to contact.

The John Folse Company makes many fine things to eat - but the champion product has to be the cheese. His Fleur-de-Lis and Fleur-de-Teche cheeses have won several well-deserved awards, and deservedly so - they are way beyond delicious all the way to sumptuous, heavenly, and to die for !

During my grand tour - I began to understand why his whole company has succeeded. He has stayed close to his mission of spreading the culture through its tastiest expression : food and cooking.

The difference is John Folse takes the extra effort to provide the historical background and setting, and explains the heritage of many of the numerous variations on any one theme or dish that he prepares.

Visit his web site.

It's a twelve-course treat in and of itself !