Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Sweetest Thing


Autumn, perhaps more than anything else, signals
a seachange in the quantity and quality of the
wind. It not only blows more frequently, but
stronger and cooler.


On my walks, as I thought about the wind and all
the metaphors it is used for,this song (long a
favorite of mine)came to mind,
and suddenly, like a chill north wind blowing
through town at the tip of a front, it seemed
to symbolize both the power of the life force(God)
AND the sweeping changes just ahead for the
thousands of people displaced and/or damaged in some
way by one or both of the two hurricanes.

In fact, you can read this song as being about
the Hurricane-as-part-of-God, and the question
that's begged might be:

How does one gain, keep, or restore
faith in God before, during, and after
those winds blew, and could this song be
read as a paean to God ?

Tell me what you feel and think about this
observation. You can either email me
or simply add to the blog with the tools right
here on this page.



Catch The Wind

by Donovan



[ Download Donovan Ringtones ] [ Send to a friend ]







In the chilly hours and minutes,
Of uncertainty,
I want to be,

In the warm hold of your
loving mind.


To feel you all around me,
And to take your hand,
along the sand,

Ah, but I may as well try and catch
the wind.


When sundown pales the sky,
I wanna hide a while,
behind your smile,

And everywhere I'd look, your eyes
I'd find.


For me to love you now,
Would be the sweetest thing,
'twould make me sing,

Ah, but I may as well try and catch
the wind.


When rain has hung the leaves with tears,
I want you near,
to kill my fears

To help me to leave all my blues
behind.


For standin' in your heart,
Is where I want to be,
and long to be,

Ah, but I may as well try and catch
the wind.

(1965)








No comments: